Banner
 

Ada, Ohio

Ada (on the highway from 1913 - 1919) Population 5,600.

Ada was founded as Johnstown in 1855 as a Pennsylvania railroad stop, but since Ohio already had another Johnstown, the officiating postmaster in Washington DC filed it as Ada after his sister!

The town grew with the rails, and the founding of Ohio Northern University in 1870. The train station is now on the National Historic Registry.

  • Botanical Walks on the campus of Ohio Northern University. Many labeled varieties of tree, shrubs and flowers.

  • Wilson Sporting Goods Company, 217 N. Liberty St. (419) 634-9901. Tours can be schedule Mon.-Thur. 5:00a.m.-3:30 p.m. Wilson Sporting Goods (1913) is a leading manufacturers of sports equipment. Wilson manufactures official game balls for the NFL and the NCAA in Ada.

  • Ada Depot. 112 East Central Ave. (419) 634-4045. On the lines of the Ohio and Indiana Railroad, then the Pennsylvania Railroad. One of the few surviving 19th century Pennsylvania passenger stations in Ohio. In 1905, a rail speed record of more than 126 mph was set near here.

  • A caboose on the grounds of the Ada Depot.

  • Pharmaceutical Museum at Ohio Northern University.

  •  Bethlehem Farm - The Oak and Barn, 1289 State Route 309, Alger. (419) 634-6213. Gift shop is a beautiful setting.

  •  Four Season Drive Thru, Drive Thru, (N/A), 205 N. Main St., 419-634-265
  • Little Mexico, 101 South Main Street (419) 634-6898

  • When a movie caravan made a promotional tour of the Lincoln Highway on its way to the 1915 Panama-Pacific Exposition in San Francisco, stops were made at several Ohio towns. In Ada, Governor Frank B. Willis gave an inspired

A filmed documentary was made of the Lincoln Highway in 1915, which included Ohio Governor Frank B. Willis giving a "Good Roads" speech at Ohio Northern University in Ada.


 

Hardin County Tourist & Convention Bureau

 

 

 

© 2016 Klingstedt Brothers Web Design