Lisbon (On the Highway since 1913) Population: 2,800. Columbiana County seat.
Lisbon was founded in 1803, and is the second oldest town in Ohio. Old Stone House Tavern, oldest continuously occupied stone house in Ohio, which began as a tavern in 1805 is now the local historical Society's museum, and one block from the Lincoln Highway in downtown. The Society there also has a display in a Victorian train station in the Historic District. This town was very active in the underground railroad with an abolitionist newspaper published here. Lisbon is also the home to the invention of the drinking straw, and President McKinley's grandparents.
Visit us on the web: lisbonohiochamber.com
Steel Trolley Diner (open) 140 E. Lincoln Way, 330-424-3663
Columbiana County courthouse and gazebo on the square.
Downtown Lisbon circa 1940.
Rare 1916 Travel Guide in Lisbon Library.
Before there were road maps, the Lincoln Highway used to 'describe' the route in a book called the "Lincoln Highway Road Guide." One of the earliest editions (1916) is in the Lisbon Library and is in mint condition.